Nov 30, 2001
Visiting the Trialware section at Symantec elicited the message displayed on the left to pop up from their website. I assure you that in fact I am using Internet Explorer version 6.0.26 and would not be caught dead in the vicinity of a 3.0 era browser for fear of catching an Active-X cootie. This is the online equivalent of saying 'Your barn door is open. Hah, made you look!' Sounds like a case for the folks over at Design not Found.
Nov 27, 2001
Nov 25, 2001
Nov 21, 2001
Nov 20, 2001
- While at Ev's apartment working on the new Pentium 4 killer, patent-pending Pyra V chip, we took a break long enough to have a picture snapped with some friends.
- Happily spreading memes
- My shampoo says 'normalizing shampoo' but I feel the same. I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part.
- Grant just dedicated a Dilated Peoples song to me on his radio show with the comment 'I think he thinks he's African American or something.' Geez, you tell a guy you like the Outkast album 'Stankonia' and you get branded a hip hop supastar.
- While were are on the music tip, the make-up show for the cancelled Weezer show from 9/11 in San Jose was last night. The bill was Jimmy Eat World, Tenacious D, and Weezer. It was a great show. Don't tell Allison but I am putting Jimmy back into the pool of names for our potential son (or daughter) after last night's show. They certainly know how to rock in a way that makes me think that Weezer should have opened for them. Either that or they both should have opened for Tenacious D. The 'D' were on fire. Both barrels firing rock gems and comedic nuggets. They were dirty. They were funny. They rocked. You should see them if you get the chance.
- shellen.com is a nearly curse free zone. I do occasionally use the choice four-letter word in real life but you won't ever see it here. Why you might ask? It's a family site. Mom reads the site. Family reads the site. People who would never in a million years take me up on my recommendation to go see Tenacious D read the site. Luckily any time I want to say the word s*&$ I can post it over on MetaGrrrl, as Dinah has graciously offered. The other six words are still up for grabs. Thanks Dinah!
- I have a friend named Ash who recently started an organic vegetable delivery company in the Bay Area. They don't have any Aeron chairs in their office and from what I understand don't have any walnut desks at all so they shouldn't suffer the same fate as Webvan [r.i.p.]. Anyway, it's called West Side Organics. If you like your veggies fresh and free of pesticides this is for you.
- I'm going to the Weblogger Interest Group meeting tonight. They corrected last meetings oversight of not having beer AT the meeting. Well see how it goes.
- Lastly, the baby is doing well so far. We heard the heartbeat the other day and it sounds like a horse galloping down the street. That's a good sign or were having a foal. Anyway, Allison rejoined the blogging world with a somewhat spiritual post today. I'm not sure what to make of it either.
I know a lot of you assume that people who work from home don't shower until noon and wear slippers all day. This is simply not true. Sometimes we wear socks instead.
Nov 19, 2001
Meanwhile back in Gotham City...
An old friend of shellen.com has cashed in his pocket protector and mouse for a chef's apron. Having returned from a long consulting stint in Japan for a well known web agency he was given the keys to the street after dodging three or so rounds of layoffs. Sensing that it was time for a change of pace, he enrolled in the California Culinary Academy. Keep up with the chef in training at gangcandy : a year in the kitchen.
Nov 16, 2001
Nov 15, 2001
Punch the monkey and win! Register and win! Buy a domain name now! Stop using exclamation points!
Everyone is sick of cheesy banner ads, sick of people talking about how banner ads suck, tired of the intrusion of pop-up, pop-under and interstitial advertising during your normal web browsing. Do you even pay attention to that stuff anymore? Now many popular sites have taken to using massive ads to grab your attention. What is the solution? PyRads.
Ev and I have been working on this for a few weeks and just launched it this morning. PyRadsTM is a service for purchasing, managing, and serving micro advertising (or text) on web sites. Having purchased, designed, and sold banner ads in the past I would not be sad to see them go away in favor of text ads. Anyway, we thought it was a good idea and way less intrusive than traditional advertising. Pretty soon we will be offering the system to folks with community, niche, or portal sites who need a text ad management system but right now we are only offering advertising on the Blogger homepage (which gets a ton of traffic).
If you would like to see your name in lights or have a cool project to announce you might want to pop for the $10 it takes to get 3,333 impressions on the Blogger.com homepage. If you run a business, you might want to consider allocating a larger amount. Ev and I hope you like it and please let us know what you think.
Nov 14, 2001
Nov 13, 2001
Yep... off to the dentist again. This time to install a porch swing and maybe some of those nice flower boxes. I am a lagard I know but with enough pestering, 'The Laughing Gas Incident' will make it up here soon.
By the way, this is your last chance to enter the official war 2001 logo design contest. Every good skirmish needs a great logo. Vietnam's logo sucked.
Nov 8, 2001
New drive running... Windows XP installed... on my way back to healthy computing. More after things are smoothed out. I will get my normal email client back up and running tomorrow, so await my witty retorts if you have emailed me.
Nov 6, 2001
Nov 5, 2001
A helpful message from repair mode of my Windows 2000 Professional Setup CD:
'Setup has determined that your computer's startup hard disk is new or has been erased, or that your computer is running an operating system that is incompatible with Windows 2000'The disk is neither new nor has it been erased and the last time I checked, Windows 2000 was compatible with itself. Ugh! This may put a kink in my plans to sleep tonight.
Nov 4, 2001
If you became a Dack fan through his writings about the web like 'Flash is Evil' and 'The Web Economy Bullshit Generator' then maybe you will appreciate his take on the Current SituationTM.
Warning: This link may contain graphic images of humans hurt by the US bombings in Afghanistan.